Disney Cruise Line operates out of ports all over the world, but Port Canaveral in Florida is the most popular and busiest for the Disney Cruise Line ships.
Since it’s a full-time Disney port of call, the theming is excellent and the magic of Disney really starts before you ever set foot on the ship including the miniature model of the Disney Dream inside the terminal, the friendliness of each and every Cast Member, Disney character photo ops before you board, and of course the giant Mickey ears as your portal onto the ship.
Here are a few tips to expedite your arrival at Disney’s Port Canaveral cruise terminal.
- If you’re driving and self-parking, you can drop off your checked bags at the curb before proceeding to the parking deck. A member of the party does not have to stay with the bags.
- The upper-level security checkpoint almost always has a shorter line (sometimes 50-100 people shorter). So if you’ve parked your car in the deck, go to level 3 and take the elevated walkway to access the terminal. It’ll be much shorter once you’re inside than going down to the main level.
- Even if you arrived with a car service or bus, check out the line downstairs…sometimes it’s worth the quick walk across the street to the parking deck, then going across the skyway to the upper security checkpoint.
- If you aren’t big on official photos on the cruise, as you’re boarding the ship you’ll have an opportunity to bypass the photo line. But if you’ve purchased the Cruise Photos package, definitely don’t skip the line…you want to take advantage of every photo op possible!
- And lastly, this isn’t about expediting your boarding process, it’s simply a reminder…just before you board the ship they’re going to ask your last name. This is a great time to have your phone out and recording video. Whether it’s your first Disney Cruise or your 50th Disney Cruise, the special touch for your family as you’re stepping foot on the ship is still eyes-watering-chill-bump-inducing pure Disney Magic!
Pete Herrick has been with Once Upon A Vacation since 2013 and has visited Walt Disney Destinations over 30 times and takes every chance to travel to just about any fun location in the world. He and his wife Tessa live at Lake Norman near Charlotte NC. Find him on social media @peteherrick (or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org)